Welcome to Application for ITIN number online
We Provide assistance with all legal formalities to ITIN Number Application
How to apply Application for Individual Tax ID Number?
Individual Taxpayer Identification Number i.e. ITIN is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to an individual who needs to report income but is ineligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA). It is a nine digit number, similar to the Social Security Number. The ITIN Number always begin with the number 9 and is formatted as SSN (xxx-xxx-xxx). ITIN Number is used for tax purpose only. It does not authorize you for work and cannot be used as an identification number or for any purpose apart from the tax system. To apply for the ITIN Number Application, an F or M student must have to submit a Form W7i.e. “Application form for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number”, with a US tax return form.
Who needs to apply for the Application for ITIN?
If you want to file a US tax return or you are listed on a tax return as a spouse or a dependent and you are not eligible to obtain a valid SSN, then in that case you must have to apply for an ITIN number application.According to the law, a person cannot have both an SSN and an ITIN Number. When filing the tax return, you must have to fill the ITIN Number in the space for SSN in the tax return form. Including your ITIN Number on the tax return form will ensure prompt processing and receipt of the refund of income tax withholding from the IRS, if you qualify. It allows you to file your tax return and claim tax benefits for the qualifying dependents.You may also use this ITIN Number when opening a bank account or apply for a mortgage loan.
Generally the dependents (such as H4 visa, L2 visa, F2 visa) should have to apply for the ITIN Number. The F or M student who is ineligible for an SSN must apply for an ITIN Number if any of the following occur –
- Reception of a grant, fellowship or scholarship
- Interest from the stock options, lottery or gambling winnings
- Any other types of the non-wage income
To apply for the ITIN Number, the F or M student must have to submit the following documents to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) –
- Form W7 i.e. “Application form for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number”
- Certification letter with applicant full name and Sevis (i.e. Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) ID Number
- Copies of the identity and foreign status documentation and a copy of the Form I-20
- Certificate of the eligibility for the non-immigrant student status
- Other required documentation to meet the Form W7 requirements
When to apply for Application for Individual Taxpayer Id Number?
You should apply for the ITIN Number as soon as you are ready to file your federal income tax return, as you need to attach the return to your application. You can apply for the ITIN Number any time during the year. But if the tax return you attach with the ITIN application Form W7 is filed after the return due date, then you owe to pay the interest or penalties. However, if you meet any one of the exceptions listed on the Form W7 (Page 3), then you do not need to file a tax return. You can apply for the ITIN Number as soon as you determine that you are covered by the specific tax exception.
How to apply for the Application for Individual Taxpayer Id Number?
In order to apply for the ITIN Number, you need to provide following documents such as –
- Application Form W7
- Need to attach a valid Federal Income Tax Return (unless you qualify for an exception – Page 3 of Form W7
As you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application form, you do not need to mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions.Instead of this, you can send your return, Form W7 and proof of identity documents to the address listed in the Form W7 instructions at the following address –
- Original or certified proof of the identity
What documents are acceptable as proof of Identity and Foreign Status for the Application for ITIN?
A complete IRS Form W7, US federal income tax return and original and valid passport (or a notarized or certified copy of a valid passport) are the only document acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status. But if you are unable to provide your passport, then you can submit any of 2 or more current and valid document from the following list as the proof of identity and foreign status. According to the IRS revised guidelines the list of documents acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status are –
- National Identification Document (which include your name, photo, address, date of birth and expiration date)
- US driver license
- Foreign driver license
- Birth Certificate (required for the dependent person unless a passport is being submitted and the passport has a date of entry into the US)
- US State Identification Card
- Foreign Voter Registration Card
- Visa issued by the U.S. Department of State
- US Military Identification Card
- Foreign Military Identification Card
- US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) photo Identification Card
- Medical Record (for dependents under age 6 only)
- School Record (for dependents who are students under age 18 only)
You must have to submit copies of these original documents. Copies of these documents will not be returned. These copies must either be – Certified by the issuing agency or official custodian of the original record Or Notarized by a US Notary Public.You must have to submit copies of these original documents. Copies of these documents will not be returned. These copies must either be – Certified by the issuing agency or official custodian of the original record Or Notarized by a US Notary Public.
If you submit your original documents they will not be returned. You do not need togive a return envelope for this purpose. If your originals documents are not returned within 60 days, then you can call the IRS at the telephone assistance number. Keep a copy of yourapplication form for your record. To be on the safe side, you need to mail your application by insured mail so that you may receive a receipt. Avoid using the originals documents if the copies of the documents can work.
What are the different ways by which you can apply for Application for Individual Taxpayer Id Number?
You can apply for the ITIN Number in three ways such as –
- Apply in person – Visit our office email@example.com
- Apply by Mail –firstname.lastname@example.org
You can mail your completed Form W7, your tax return (or other documents required by an exception) and the identification documentation to the below address –
- Apply through an Acceptance Agent –You can apply through an acceptance agent authorized by the IRS. The acceptance agent need to review your
documentation, complete certificate of accuracy and forward this certificate and application to the IRS for processing. Some of the acceptance agents may charge a email@example.com
How and when will you receive your ITIN Number?
You will not receive a card but an authorization letter from IRS after submitting Application for ITIN. This is to avoid any of the similarities and confusion with the Social Security Number Card. If you qualify for the ITIN Number and your application is complete, then you will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number, usually within 4 to 6 weeks. If you have not received any letter from the IRS in that time span, then you may call the IRS to check the status of your application at the IRS telephone assistance number firstname.lastname@example.org
How to renew your Application for Individual Taxpayer Id Number?
In order to renew your ITIN Number you need these documents –
- Gather all the necessary documents to show the proof of identity and foreign status.
- Families with multiple ITIN number can renew their ITIN Number at the same time. If one person’s ITIN number get expires this year, then everyone in the household can renew their ITIN Number at the same time.
- Apply or renew for free to avoid the ITIN application fee. email@example.com
Benefits of having an Application for Individual Taxpayer Id Number
The benefits of having an ITIN Number are –
- Using the ITIN number, you may file your income tax return. Without using the ITIN Number, you do not meet the requirements to file a tax return.
- With the help of ITIN Number, you can open your bank account. This way you will have the option to enjoy the advantages of opening an account, such as a saving account and starting a business.
- Using ITIN Number, you can create a credit history that will benefit you going forward. By having an ITIN number you can apply for a loan and credit card. With the help of ITIN Number you can apply for a mortgage loan and ultimately comply with some of the laws of the United States.
Limitations of an ITIN Application
The limitationsof an ITIN Number are –
- If you are using an ITIN Number for filing your taxes, then you will not be able to claim the earned income tax since that require a valid SSN.
- You will not be able to get the social security benefits.
- An ITIN Number does not authorize you to work in US.
- As some of the banks will accept an ITIN Number as an ID document, the IRS discourages you from doing so. As the IRS does not validate the authenticity of your personal information, so it cannot operate with other agencies who certify the authenticity and credibility of someone’s identity.
Does an ITIN Number ever get expire?
In general, an ITIN Number get expire if the ITIN holder does not file a tax return or was not included as a dependent on the tax return of another taxpayer for three consecutive years. In this case, the ITIN Number will get expire on the last day of the third consecutive year.
In the case that you receive a notice that you, your spouse or your dependent ITIN Number is scheduled to get expire and you will be filing a tax return or claim for the refund in a subsequent year, then in that case you should begin the renewal process as quickly as you can in order to avoid the delay. Once your renewal application get accepted, IRS issues notice CP565 to the applicant which serves as a confirmation of your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number when your ITIN Number is renewed.