You may be operating your business under a “doing business as”, or by DBA name. Basically, DBA are used by sole proprietors, partnerships, corporations and limited liability corporations. When they are operating under a name other than legal one they are registered as, personal legal name or legal name of the business or organization. For example, if you are a sole proprietor of an organization whose legal name is John Doe. In that case, you call your business as John’s Shoe Repair and need to file DBA with this business name. Basically, DBA creates legal connection between you and name you are working under so that consumers and creditors can find you.
How one can get a DBA?
In order to file a DBA name, you need to check with your country. As, each country has its own form and procedure. But most of the countries require that you fill out a simple form. In this form, you need to fill name you want to use, your legal name and your contact information. Apart from this you also need to pay a small fee. You will receive a certificate that authorize you to do business in that country using the name you are registered with.
Why an EIN is required?
An EIN from the IRS is required due to following reasons –
- When the business file the federal tax return in its own name.
- For the certain business types, trusts, non-profit organizations, estates and real estate entities.
- If the income tax return involves the alcohol, firearms or tobacco industry.
- When a business or an organization hires the employees (temporary or permanent).
- If a tax return shows taxes withheld from the income (other than wages) that were paid to non-resident aliens.
How one can get an EIN for DBA?
To obtain an Employee Identification Number i.e. EIN for your business. You need to fill the online application Form SS-4 from Internal Revenue Service. This form require some of the basic information of the company, such as how your business is structured, activity of your business and how many employees your company have. There are multiple ways in which one can apply for an EIN from IRS website. You can choose any one of the way such as –
- Can fill out the application Form SS-4 Online.
- You can fill out the application Form SS-4 and send the application to IRS by fax or mail.
Applying for the EIN for the DBA is simple and free and you can use the same number for any DBA under your main business.
Apply for the EIN for DBA Online
In order to apply for an EIN for DBA Online, one need to fill online application form with all the necessary information regarding business. After filling all the details in the application form, the information in the application form are validated during the online session. After the validation of all the details an EIN for DBA is issued immediately.
Apply for the EIN for DBA by Fax, Mail or Phone
- In order to apply for an EIN for DBA by Fax, one need to fax the completed Application Form SS-4 to IRS by fax after ensuring that the Form SS-4 contains all the required information. If one has provided the taxpayer’s fax number, then one may receive a fax with an EIN within 4 business days on that fax number.
- One can received an EIN by Mail in 4-6 weeks. In order to apply for an EIN for DBA by Mail, one need to mail the completed Application Form SS-4 with all the necessary details filled in the application form to IRS office address such as –
- Internal Revenue Service
- Attn: EIN Operation
- Cincinnati, OH 45999
In order to apply for an EIN for DBA by Phone, one need to call the IRS customer care number from Monday to Friday between 06:00 AM to 11:00 PM (Eastern Time) so as to obtain an EIN. The IRS customer agent can assign an EIN to the individual at the end of the phone call.